Our clients are interesting. They have significant growth potential and complex financial situations. They range in size from pre-revenue/pre-funding start-up to publicly traded mid-market companies., They’re doing things like fundraising, IPOs, major system implementations, green field start-ups, internal restructuring, validating new markets and testing new strategies - and they want help.
That’s where 9Gauge comes in. We bring a team of consultants who have the operational context and strategic focus to ask the right questions, apply industry best practices, and architect solutions that allow our clients to make great decisions to drive their business.
Our Controllers are hands-on AND strategic. They think critically, they ask questions. They are technically sound and open to creative solutions that fit client needs. Clients like to work with them. They inspire other staff to peak performance. They coach and they collaborate.
It’s anything but boring. Our consultants are managing multiple client engagements and internal teams at the same time.
They are comfortable having responsibilities that will often vary significantly from month to month. Some of those responsibilities of this position will include:
- Managing 9Gauge staff, as they perform weekly financial consulting services, monthly closes, and special projects for clients;
- Working as a team with clients’ own finance staff, to complete GAAP-compliant monthly financial packages;
- Implementing QuickBooks for start-up clients and developing and managing the Chart of Accounts and Class structure;
- Helping clients address and resolve complex financial issues;
- Working closely with the 9Gauge Finance and Business Intelligence team to help clients improve forecasts, reporting, and new processes and procedures that scale with their growth plans;
- Comprehensive monthly analysis of business results, finance and operating metrics, and comparisons of actual results to budgets, forecasts, and prior month performance;
- Preparation of meaningful, client-specific management reporting packages and Board packages;
- Assessing current client processes for efficiency and adequate controls and proposing, documenting, and implementing process improvements;
- Working with client staff and fellow consultants on various cross-departmental projects; and
- External audit coordination, preparation of schedules for tax accountants, involvement in due diligence, and other projects, as needed.
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following:
- A passion for the consulting work-style and an entrepreneurial attitude;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work with client personnel at all levels within an organization;
- Self-motivation, maturity, and versatility;
- Experience working with C-Level management and comfort presenting to a client’s Board of Directors;
- Ability to work in the day-to-day financial details, as well as analyze the business from a high-level;
- Resourcefulness with a “can-do” results-oriented attitude to challenges and problem solving;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and great teamwork attitude;
- Ability to manage multiple team-members on various clients simultaneously, and also pitch in as an individual contributor, when needed;
- Ability to work efficiently at multiple client sites, as well as remotely;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience with SaaS companies and GAAP Rev Rec both preferred;
- Strong Excel skills required;
- Quickbooks and/or NetSuite experience a plus;
- Big Four accounting experience a plus;
- M&A Experience a plus;
- Willingness to occasionally travel (up to 10-40%) a plus;
- CPA strongly preferred; and
- 8 - 12 years progressive accounting experience required.
The 9Gauge Partners culture is tough to beat. We have been named one of the Austin Business Journal’s Best Places to Work and we are rated in the top 5 in Austin for Glassdoor Reviews. Our employees are empowered in serving their clients, work alongside a supportive team and with progressive leaders who truly value transparency and the impact our team makes each day. Our team enjoys competitive base salary plus bonus structure, comprehensive benefits offerings, and a flexible schedule.